Andrew Rowan B.Com LLB (cum laude) LLM Tax (cum laude) (Wits) was admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of South Africa in March 2005. He was also admitted to the roll of solicitors of the Courts of England and Wales in March 2011.
Andrew was admitted as an Attorney of the High Court in 2003 after completing his Articles of Clerkship at Werksmans Attorneys. In 2003 Andrew joined the permanent academic staff of the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), where he lectured in various subjects of law including Civil Procedure, Delict, Property, Tax and Competition Law. After joining the Bar Andrew continued to lecture sessionally, for a time.
He practices in all areas of commercial litigation and arbitration with particular expertise and interest in administrative law, class action litigation, company law, and tax. He has appeared in the various High Courts of South Africa and in the Supreme Court of Appeal. Some of the more prominent or reported cases in which he has appeared include:
- Tasima (Pty) Ltd v Department of Transport and Others 2013 (4) SA 134 (GNP)
- Minister of Mineral Resources and Others v Sishen Iron Ore Co (Pty) Ltd and Others 2013 (4) SA 461 (SCA)
- MV Cos Prosperity: Phoenix Shipping Corporation v Dhl Global Forwarding Sa (Pty) Ltd and Another 2012 (3) SA 381 (WCC)
- AB Ventures Ltd v Siemens Ltd 2011 (4) SA 614 (SCA)
- Investec Employee Benefits Ltd and Another v Electrical Industry KwaZulu-Natal Pension Fund and Others 2010 (1) SA 446 (W)
- Trinity Asset Management (Pty) Ltd v Investec Bank Ltd 2009 (4) SA 89 (SCA) and Letseng Diamonds Ltd v JCI Ltd and Others 2009 (4) SA 58 (SCA)
- Southern Africa Enterprise Development Fund Inc v Industrial Credit Corporation Africa Ltd 2008 (6) SA 468 (W)
Andrew is a co-author of Fundamental Principles of Civil Procedure, published by LexisNexis Butterworths, which is the prescribed textbook on the Law of Civil Procedure at Wits and a number of other Universities in Gauteng.
Telephone: 011 290 4000
Mobile: 083 229 6638