Kevin joined the Johannesburg Society of Advocates in 2012. He holds BSc(Hons)LLB degrees from UCT and an LLM from Duke University in the USA with a special focus on international intellectual property. He was formerly a clerk at the Constitutional Court of South Africa and a researcher at the Community Law Centre at the University of the Western Cape. He completed articles and practised as an attorney at Bowman Gilfillan in Johannesburg from 2005 – 2012.
Kevin has appeared in the Constitutional Court, Supreme Court of Appeal, the High Court, Labour Court, Magistrates Courts, in arbitrations and before the Commissioner of Patents, Registrar of Trademarks, Companies Tribunal and National Consumer Tribunal. He also appears regularly on behalf of professionals before their regulatory bodies, such as the Health Professions Council of South Africa and the Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors. He has acted on behalf of banks, mining houses, pension funds, law firms, insurers and a range of individuals and corporate clients.
He is a general commercial litigator with particular experience and interest in intellectual property, administrative law, insurance litigation, medical negligence, consumer protection law, pension funds, insolvency and corporate law, access to information, defamation and constitutional litigation.
He has published articles on constitutional law and intellectual property in the South African Journal on Human Rights, South African Journal of Environmental Law and Policy and the North-Western Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property. He contributed the insurance chapter to the publication “HIV and the Law in South Africa” and updated the property and access to courts chapters in the latest edition of the Bill of Rights Handbook. He was also a contributor to the book “Precedents for Applications in Civil Proceedings”.
His list of reported judgments include:
- Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance and Others v The South African National Roads Agency Ltd and Others  4 All SA 639 (SCA)
- SACCAWU obo Makhubela v DBSA; Radebe v DBSA (2014) 35 ILJ 778 (LC)
- Netcare Hospitals (Pty) Ltd v KPMG Services (Pty) Ltd and Another  4 All SA 241 (GJ)
- CK3 LLC v Sun Mark Ltd and Another 2014 BIP 283
- Wallejee and Another v FCSA Organisation Service (Pty) Ltd and Another (2015) 36 ILJ 1943 (LC)
- Nkala and Others v Harmony Gold Mining Company Ltd and Others 2016 (5) SA 240 (GJ)
- A Way to Explore v Commissioner, SA Revenue Service 80 SATC 211
- Smith v Kit Kat Group (Pty) Ltd (2017) 38 ILJ 483 (LC)
- Vodacom (Pty) Ltd v Registrar of Patents and Another  JOL 39028 (GP)
- Trustco Group International (Pty) Ltd v Vodacom (Pty) Ltd and Another 2017 (5) SA 283 (SCA)
- Orica Mining Services v Elbroc Mining Products (Pty) Ltd  2 All SA 796 (SCA)
- Johannesburg Society of Advocates v Tiry  JOL 40383 (GJ)
- Bowman Gilfillan Inc and Another: In re: Minister of Transport and Others  3 All SA 484 (GP)
- Municipal Employees Pension Fund v Natal Joint Municipal Pension Fund (Superannuation) and Others 2018 (2) BCLR 157 (CC)
- Tequila Cuervo SA de CV v Fabrication and Light Engineering CC  HIPR 16 (GP)
- Annex Distribution (Pty) Ltd and Others v Bank of Baroda  JOL 41055 (GNP)
- Naidoo and Another v Hlano Financial Services (Pty) Ltd and Others  JOL 43625 (GJ)
- Trustco Group International (Pty) Ltd and Others v Hahn and Hahn Inc  JOL 45042 (GP)
- Quad Africa Energy (Pty) Ltd v The Sugarless Company (Pty) Ltd and Another 2020 (6) SA 90 (SCA)
- Nu-World Industries (Pty) Ltd v Strix Limited  JOL 46893 (SCA)
- Beyond Platinum (Pty) Ltd v Ellies Electronics (Pty) Ltd and Others  JOL 49056 (SCA)
- Discovery Ltd and Others v Liberty Group  2 All SA 819 (GJ)
Alternative Email: email@example.com