Paul Pretoius SC
Paul joined the bar in 1977 and he took silk in 1994. He attended school (matriculated as dux) and the University of Natal. He completed his LLB at UNISA. Paul spent five years with the Legal Resources Centre, concentrating on human rights and labour litigation. He was also the chairperson of IMSSA Board of Trustees from 1989 to 1994.
Paul has appeared as the acting judge, High Court (Witwatersrand Local Division) and Labour Court on several occasions. He has acted on behalf of many cases in the High Court, Labour Court, Labour Appeal Court, Supreme Court of Appeal that have been reported
He is a general commercial litigator with particular experience and specialisation in public law (administrative law, labour law, pensions law), contract law, commercial law, mediation and arbitration.
He is the editor of Dispute Resolution, published by Juta’s in 1993. Now in its 8th reprint. Paul is also the author of occasional papers and articles on labour law and dispute resolution, mediation and arbitration. Presented seminars and lectures on the same topic. He has also presented a number of papers, both in South Africa and overseas on dispute resolution, industrial relations law and human rights.
Paul is a member (and has previously been a member) of the following tribunals/panels:
• Arbitrator and mediator in commercial disputes under the auspices of the Alternate Dispute Resolution Association of South Africa (ADRASA), the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa (AFSA) and TOKISO.
• Arbitrator and mediator in industrial relations and community disputes under the auspices of the Independent Mediation Services of South Africa (IMSSA), AMSSA and TOKISO (Labour and Commercial Panels).
• Chairperson of IMSSA Board of Trustees from 1989 to 1994.
• Previously a member of Board of Trustees of Community Dispute Resolution Trust (CDRT) and ADRASA.
• Fellow of ASHOKA
• Commercial mediator accredited by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, United Kingdom.
• Member Advisory Board, University of Stellenbosch Centre for Dispute Resolution.
• Member Management Committee, Arbitration Foundation of South Africa (AFSA).
• Panel member as mediator: Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (South Africa).
• Panel member of the Singapore International Mediation Centre (SIMC) (Singapore) from 2014.
• Member of S.A. Law Commission working group on Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution.
• Recipient of United States Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service Certificate of Recognition (1991).
He was a member of the Johannesburg ar Council during 1996/1997 and 1999/2000. He is also an accredited advocacy trainer.
Mobile: 082 850 9741