Peggy Schoeman joined the Bar in 2022. Her preferred areas of practice are administrative, environmental and mining, commercial, and property/planning law.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws from Rhodes University, a Postgraduate Diploma in Management from Wits Business School, and a Master of Laws from Wits University, with distinction.
Prior to joining the Bar, Peggy clerked for Judge Kathleen Satchwell at the Johannesburg High Court, and thereafter practised as an attorney for several years – first at Glyn Marais Inc., and then at Warburton Attorneys Inc.
As an attorney, Peggy gained particular experience in both administrative and environmental & mining law. She advised clients in the energy, mining, industrial, and manufacturing sectors, as well as environmental justice NGOs and individuals, on environmental legal compliance, including:
- identifying permitting requirements (environmental authorisations, waste management licences, atmospheric emission licences, water use licences, etc.);
- advising on environmental compliance and enforcement action (licence revocation, administrative notices, fines, criminal prosecutions, private prosecutions, director liability, lender liability, interdicts, structural interdicts, etc.);
- drafting administrative appeals in terms of inter alia the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, and the National Environmental Management Act; and
- drafting High Court review applications against decisions of the regulators for mineral resources and energy, air quality, water and sanitation, and environmental affairs.
Peggy’s expertise and areas of interest include:
- Administrative law
- Environmental law, including inter alia air quality, water, waste, biodiversity, protected areas, heritage, and marine/coastal law
- Climate change law
- Mining law
- Environmental criminal law
- General commercial law
- General property and planning law
Telephone: 011 290 4000
Mobile: 082 721 4518