Philips Daniels SC
Admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 1989.
Called to the Johannesburg Bar in 1991.
Silk conferred in 2007.
His practice includes mining law, insolvency law (and business rescue), company law, contract and environmental law, municipal and administrative law and banking law.
He is a member of AFSA’s arbitration panel.
He served as an Acting Judge in the High Court of South Africa in 2010 and 2016.
He has acted for numerous international clients and South African entities, which include listed companies based in the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore and various countries in Africa involved in mining, construction and information technology.
He has acted for and against the Financial Services Board (as previously known), all the major South African Banks, Standard Chartered Bank and in numerous commercial trials on behalf of corporate and individual clients.
He has more than 50 reported cases in the South African Law Reports, the All South African Law Reports, the Commercial Law Reports and other related legal publications.
He has appeared in the High Courts of Namibia, Swaziland, Botswana and Lesotho.
Some of the more important cases which represent a sample of the type of matters in which he regularly appears, include:
1. Mapula Solutions (Pty) Ltd v African Banking Corporation of Zambia and Standard Chartered Bank 2019 JDR 0012 DG
2. Stefanutti Stocks Civils, a division of Stefanutti Stocks (Pty) Ltd v Trans-Caledon Tunnel Authority 2012 JDR 2073 GNP
3. Reezen Ltd v Excellerate Holdings Ltd and Others 2018 (6) SA 571 GJ
4. Blue Financial Services Ltd v Standard Chartered Bank 2020 JDR 2837 GJ
5. Enviroserve Waste Management (Pty) Ltd v Wasteman Group (Pty) Ltd 2012 JDR 05108 SCA
6. Siyanda Resources (Pty) Ltd v Moloto NO 2010 JDR 0323 GSJ
7. Afrisake NPC v City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality 2014 JDR 0620 GNP
8. Arwyp Medical Centre PL v The Minister of Health Services in his capacity as Head of the National Department of Health 2014 JDR 1719 GB
9. Moodley v On Digital Media (Pty) Ltd and Others 2014 (6) SA 279 GJ
10. Harris NO v Muhanga Mines (Pty) Ltd 2014 JDR 1281 GP
11. Annex Distribution v Bank of Baroda 2018 (1) SA 562 GP
12. Sanyathi Civil Engineering and Construction (Pty) Ltd v Ethikweni Municipality 2011 JDR 1421 KZP
13. Termico (Pty) Ltd v SPX Technologies (Pty) Ltd 2020 (2) SA 295 SCA.
In addition to the aforesaid he serves on the Constitution and Ethics Commissions of World Sailing, which is responsible for the management and control of all sailing on an international level.